How to Cook: Katsu Sando
Katsu Sando (カツサンド) is short for Tonkatsu Sandwich, a popular lunchbox item especially on the Shinkansen. Try your hand at making them, it's easier than it looks!
What you need:
- Breaded Tonkatsu Pork - 4 pcs
- Bulldog Tonkatsu Sauce
- Shredded Cabbage or Fresh Coleslaw - 500g
- Thick Sliced Bread - 4 slices
What to do:
- Thaw the frozen Tonkatsu for ~10 mins. It does not need to be fully thawed to room temperature
- While the Tonkatsu is thawing, heat up a pan of oil until hot, then turn the heat down low
- Carefully add the Tonkatsu into the oil and cook till golden brown. It should take about 10 - 15 mins for it to fully cook
- Once golden brown, remove them and leave them to cool on a rack
- Lay the slices of bread on a plate and spread the Tonkatsu sauce on both sides
- Add the shredded cabbage or coleslaw on top of one side of bread
- Place the cooled Tonkatsu on top of the cabbage and place the other side of the bread on top
- Cut off the crust before slicing the sandwich in half to serve!
Note: This recipe makes about 8 sandos, good for 4-6 pax.
Note: This recipe makes 8 sandwiches, good for 4-5 pax :)